News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Anything Psittacosaurus

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, May 24, 2012, 09:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on July 27, 2012, 10:28:21 PM
[/quote]

Its from the Natural Historey Museum in London. And it is one that commonly makes an appearance in Dorling Kingsly books. However, in the books it often seems small. But I seen it in person at the museum. And I can clearly say that its a biggen, almost life sized reconstruction. BTW it was in a glass case at the very end of there own dinosaur exhbit, as a part of the part that explans there extinction, Which would make this one a dead one. and not a sleeping one as i first thoght when i saw it in the books
[/quote]

Aww I rather think of the little guy as sleeping. Would you mind if I borrow that shot for my project I am working on? I think its really perfect, and would be nice to use.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

brontodocus

The NHM Psittacosaurus is an animatronic and it is sleeping. ;) You can see its chest expand while "breathing" (don't know if they sometimes pull the plug out of the socket, though).

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Seijun

An animal that isnt entirely dead yet can still be breathing ;)

Personally, it looks more dead/dying to me than sleeping.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Himmapaan

As Dr. Andre mentions, it's an animatronic and is meant to be sleeping.  I think it had been displayed elsewhere in the NHM's dinosaur gallery before. Its current place is incidental and isn't meant to bear connection with the text about extinction.

DinoToyForum

Here is the Psittacosaurus by Funrise :)

amargasaurus cazaui

I Think he is just resting and dreaming about a nice big round juicy Cycad frond  !!! Aww the funrise figure looks like he is frowing, but I had not seen that one up close before. I will have to watch for one now.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

I had hoped for some clarification here from some of you that are more scientifically minded in the forum.It is my understanding that there has been one (1) specimen of Psittacosaurus recovered with quills. Based on that every figure made nowdays seems to be quilled. Does this mean all species of Psittacosaurus had the quills, or could it be simply a species trait? I am unsure, but to me I do not see evidence to suggest every Psittacosaurus had to have them. Additonally, if it were an evolved trait, then earlier species would not have them if I am understanding correctly.
  Following that train of thought , Gryph has stated the quills on Triceratops are based on a somewhat vague mention of them on a more recent Triceratops mummy. ( I hope I stated that properly Gryph).  Other than that, I wondered if there was any other evidence to support the theory of quills on ceratopsians.If the quills are largely being implied because Psittacosaurus had them I ask if that is likely given these two things.
It is my understanding that Psittacosaurs had moved along a line wherein their feet and manus had only four fingers or toes . This is in keeping with the dinosaur I own myself. Whereas later ceratopsians possessed five fingers to each hand and foot. Additonally Psittacosaurs had seemingly lost the opening or antorbital fenestra, in the skull retained by other ceratopsians. It would seem UNlikely that Psittacosaurus would have lost these traits, then further down the ceratopsian line they might re-evolve. This suggests that Psittacosaurs were not ancestral to Other horned dinosaurs . If this logic is sound, then would it not follow that wether Psittacosaurs had quills or not has little to do with later ceratopsians ? So why are the progressively more modern species like Protoceratops and now Triceratops being given quills? (outside the vague mention that Gryph was familiar with) I am really trying to sort this one, so any help would be appreciated.

Gryphoceratops

As far as I know the presence of "quills" in ceratopsids is known only in one psittacosaurus specimen.  Thats it.  Anytime you see an artist put quills on any ceratopsid other than that one species of psttacosaurus it is just speculation.  (until further notice of course).

The triceratops mummy was said to have many different kinds of scales on it.  One of them is described as being shaped like a nipple or a hershey kiss with the very tip broken off.  This is what some people think may have had an elongated quill-like scale coming off of it.  Its speculation though.  Unfortunately a scientific paper describing the specimen isn't out yet (to my knowledge).   

I'm pretty sure dinosaurs like Yinlong were more likely the kind of animals that gave rise to large frilled, horned ceratopsids like triceratops and such since they share more in common (presence of antorbital finestra).  Also Yinlong is from the late jurassic and psittacosaurus is from the early cretaceous so again it would make more sense that yinlong is the more basal animal and psittacosaurs are a branch off. 

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on August 08, 2012, 01:14:59 AM
As far as I know the presence of "quills" in ceratopsids is known only in one psittacosaurus specimen.  Thats it.  Anytime you see an artist put quills on any ceratopsid other than that one species of psttacosaurus it is just speculation.  (until further notice of course).

The triceratops mummy was said to have many different kinds of scales on it.  One of them is described as being shaped like a nipple or a hershey kiss with the very tip broken off.  This is what some people think may have had an elongated quill-like scale coming off of it.  Its speculation though.  Unfortunately a scientific paper describing the specimen isn't out yet (to my knowledge).   

I'm pretty sure dinosaurs like Yinlong were more likely the kind of animals that gave rise to large frilled, horned ceratopsids like triceratops and such since they share more in common (presence of antorbital finestra).  Also Yinlong is from the late jurassic and psittacosaurus is from the early cretaceous so again it would make more sense that yinlong is the more basal animal and psittacosaurs are a branch off.
So yinlong would have be the common ancestor for Triceratops, and other North American horned dinosaurs whereas Psittacosaurus was an apparent evolutionary dead-end of sorts? That would make more sense, and makes diagramming the ceratopsian family tree a bit simpler I think. Does anyone offer a replica of Yinlong, or are there pictures, and reconstructions then that can be added to the thread? Anything would be helpful to add to my journey here, so feel free.
And btw, thanks for chipping in Gryph, i was hoping you might. I almost forgot to ask, Gryph, did Yinlong also have the extra toe and finger to each limb, like more evolved horned dinosaurs? I saw that you touched on the opening in the skull forward of the eye orbit and behind the nostril, but you did not mention the toes thing. The entire quills and Psittacosaurs not having that fifth toe and opening in the skull was a bit confusing for me to follow.
  If you run across anything in the way of papers or charts on this please post them to the thread if you feel able and willing, thanks
I am also adding two more dinosaurs to my list  , aside from Yinlong, and those are Chaoyangsaurus,Xuanhuaceratops - because they are also more basal ceratopsians than Psittacosaurus.So anything that is a figure, model, paper, picture of these would be highly appreciated, thanks

Gryphoceratops

I'm not 100% sure if thats the case but that's what it appears to be.  We are always discovering new things that turn things on their heads!  So far yinlong is the oldest known ceratopsid so its likely it or something like it is the great grandaddy of them all.   

Not sure about the fingers which is why i didn't comment on it.  (I say what I'm confident about I'm not afraid to admit I don't know everything haha).

Here is a photo of the yinlong fossil remains.  Not sure if they were able to determine what its fingers were like. 

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on August 08, 2012, 12:52:30 PM
I'm not 100% sure if thats the case but that's what it appears to be.  We are always discovering new things that turn things on their heads!  So far yinlong is the oldest known ceratopsid so its likely it or something like it is the great grandaddy of them all.   

Not sure about the fingers which is why i didn't comment on it.  (I say what I'm confident about I'm not afraid to admit I don't know something haha).

Here is a photo of the yinlong fossil remains.  Not sure if they were able to determine what its fingers were like. 

I had read once about yinlong somewhere but did not realize his importance until you tossed him out there for me. I was completely unaware he and the other two dinosaurs I threw into the mix were more basal ceratopsians than Psittacosaurus. I am trying to find a decently done ceratopsian family tree picture or cladagram, but it seems like the family line changes almost daily !!! I have found no toys or models of these earlier ceratopsians offered. The closest thing I have chanced across is the koreaceratops family toy.
  If the information is all correct and Yinlong is the most basal ancestor, it means there are going to likely be other even older less derived dinosaurs in this family tree that date back even further than the late Jurassic.
Thanks for your help Gryph, and for sharing Yinlong's fossil picture. Immensely appreciated. Sincere thanks .

amargasaurus cazaui

As I study and examine and learn from the Psittacosaurus skeleton I have purchased I have begun to learn just how many bones it is really missing that would be present in a perfectly fossilized specimen. The ankle bones are apparently not preserved for this specimen. I also have learned the coracoids are not part of my own piece. I am still learning and trying to understand how they would attach and their exact function . As nearly as I can determine, while the Illium and ischium are both intact and well mounted, the actual pubic bone and pre pubis are not intact either.
  With those things in mind I wondered if anyone that is more adept at skeletal reconstruction might give me a few pointers what else appears missing. I am aware that the skeleton mount does not display the processes for the verts, and thats not something I am unaware of, but have i missed other details?

amargasaurus cazaui

I was poking around online and located this little article that I found amusing. It delves into the concept of Aquatic Psittacosaurus, and the evidence for or against it....good for a laugh and a smile.

http://whenpigsfly-returns.blogspot.com/2010/07/semi-aquatic-psittacosaurs.html

amargasaurus cazaui

I found this Psittacosaur mount in some things Mike Holmes of Triassica has done. I admit I found the little guy was rather cute . Something especially unique, note the restored sclerotic rings in the eyes.

amargasaurus cazaui

I found this little guy marked on a site as a Koreaceratops. I think it is a stunning piece of artwork. I love the use of the colors and patterns. I have two things this prompts me to question..first, the original fossil of this animal only contained the rear area of the dinosaur. The tail and hips areas were primarly all that was recovered as well as rear legs. I am unsure what would make the assumption valid it was different than an existing or known type of basal ceratopsian like Psittacosaurus given the lack of cranial material. Is anyone aware of further fossil material relating to the animal or the reasons for speculating as to his head shape? In any event I have added the little guy here, despite not being a Psittacosaurus, cause well..........the picture is just so easy on the eyes.

My second question is for the customizers and painters. I wonder what figure could be used to re-create this painting on an actual figure? My guess would be a  protoceratops with a shaved down frill, and shortened tail. If you have some ideas let me know. I want to commission someone to do just that.

Gryphoceratops

The wild safari Leptoceratops would probably work nicely.  I reviewed it on this blog a while back. 

wings

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 08, 2012, 01:47:16 AM
So yinlong would have be the common ancestor for Triceratops, and other North American horned dinosaurs whereas Psittacosaurus was an apparent evolutionary dead-end of sorts? That would make more sense, and makes diagramming the ceratopsian family tree a bit simpler I think. Does anyone offer a replica of Yinlong, or are there pictures, and reconstructions then that can be added to the thread? Anything would be helpful to add to my journey here, so feel free.
  If you run across anything in the way of papers or charts on this please post them to the thread if you feel able and willing, thanks
I am also adding two more dinosaurs to my list  , aside from Yinlong, and those are Chaoyangsaurus,Xuanhuaceratops - because they are also more basal ceratopsians than Psittacosaurus.So anything that is a figure, model, paper, picture of these would be highly appreciated, thanks
Here is the Yinlong paper ( http://www.gwu.edu/~newsctr/fossilfind/paper.pdf ) but you probably have to hunt down the supplement as well to get the complete picture.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on August 27, 2012, 11:05:50 PM
The wild safari Leptoceratops would probably work nicely.  I reviewed it on this blog a while back.
Ha, I had not thought of that one. I think you are right there Gryph...the little guy sure looks close to the painting.  I will have to find me one now.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: wings on August 28, 2012, 02:40:18 AM

Here is the Yinlong paper ( http://www.gwu.edu/~newsctr/fossilfind/paper.pdf ) but you probably have to hunt down the supplement as well to get the complete picture.
Even this paper is much more informative than I could have hoped. Thanks for sharing it, I had never gotten to see it before this. There is a ton of information crammed in that short paper.!!

wings

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 28, 2012, 05:11:25 AM
Quote from: wings on August 28, 2012, 02:40:18 AM

Even this paper is much more informative than I could have hoped. Thanks for sharing it, I had never gotten to see it before this. There is a ton of information crammed in that short paper.!!
Yeah, unfortunately that is the primary source (plenty of jargon to go through...).  I hope the accompany images on the pages would make up the pain for you to read through the paper.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.