News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Requests for Papo 2013: Step 3 (CARNOTAURUS)

Started by anchry6, May 25, 2012, 03:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchry6

We are now arrived at the final stages.
In this topic you can write as you would like to be done the Papo CARNOTAURUS.
You can use: scientific descriptions, drawings, sculptures, pictures taken on the internet (legal please) and so on. You can criticize and improve a choice with an other ... If Papo listen to our proposal.
However, the company will decide how to use this material that we will provide.
I'm also looking for a paleontologist (possibly) or more paleontologists than write two or three pages maximum (with pictures) to give some advice on how to make a precise CARNOTAURUS and on mistakes to avoid.
Maybe then you will be hired to work for Papo  ;D
Thank you all for your interest in this project ...
I hope it is successful!
GOOD DISCUSSION.

:D

Takama

I wish for the Carnotour to be a darkish grey, with an posable jaw, and its arms are hilariously tiny as they should be.
I also wish for it to be in an active pose like there running T-rex, and keep its tail off the ground.  I also love to see each and everyone of its scutes to be finely detailed. Also, when it opens its mouth, i want to see it packed with detail as well.

As for the size of the model, i would say, make it as big as the Allosaurus.

DO NOT MAKE IT ANY BIGGER THEN THAT. Carnotaurus was not a Giant like T-Rex.

ZoPteryx

Carnotaurus is a very peculiar therapod dinosaur.  The most important things to take notice of are A) its extremely short and inflexible arms (it did not have a functional elbow or wrist) which would have simply been held at its side, B) its relatively long legs, C) its relatively long neck (for a therapod), D) its tall, blunt snout, & E) its lack of claws on its four fingers.  Other things to note are its many small scutes running down its back, its thick based tail (dinosaur leg muscles attached to the hips and the base of the tail), and its prominent brow horns (which were not long and sharp like those of ceratopsians).

I would recommend a running pose, perhaps with its tail raised slightly and head lowered, as if its about to grab a small prey animal.  As for coloration, anything but the reddish color seen in the Disney version of this creature.  Seeing as it was a relatively fast animal, perhaps a somewhat vibrant pattern of spots or stripes could work.  For size, it should be about 9 inches (23 centimeters) long.

Metallisuchus

As discussed in another thread, Carnotaurus is usually depicted in red. Although I myself love this color choice, I think it would be nice to avoid it this time around, and to keep it interesting - maybe a bluish/grayish color scheme ala Carnegie's Giganotosaurus.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Takama on May 25, 2012, 05:02:10 PM
I wish for the Carnotour to be a darkish grey, with an posable jaw, and its arms are hilariously tiny as they should be.
I also wish for it to be in an active pose like there running T-rex, and keep its tail off the ground.  I also love to see each and everyone of its scutes to be finely detailed. Also, when it opens its mouth, i want to see it packed with detail as well.

As for the size of the model, i would say, make it as big as the Allosaurus.

DO NOT MAKE IT ANY BIGGER THEN THAT. Carnotaurus was not a Giant like T-Rex.
I wouldn't be too pushy if I were you. You might blow it.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

CityRaptor

Good point there. Papo might not listen if we get too demanding. That is if they listen at all.

Therefore I say: Just don't base it on Disney!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Sharptooth

Seijun has TOTALLY hit the nail!
Always loved that restoration, a figure based on it would be kickass!  8)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Primeval12

Knowing Papo they'll probably make the one from Disney Dinosaur (this is not a suggestion)

CityRaptor

Either Disney or Dinosaur King. Honestly, I wouldn't mind the those too much, as Papo can make them work.

Put the one posted by Seijun would be perfect!
Oh no

Primeval12

Actually the one from Terra Nova might be cool

DinoFan45

"Life will find a way."

sauroid

primeval12:
"Actually the one from Terra Nova might be cool"

as long as they make the arms right...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

anchry6

Quote from: Seijun on May 26, 2012, 08:11:46 AM
This:

'nuff said.

nice but it has horns wrong! Must be directed upwards and not forwards!
The Disney's Carnotaurus snout more precise.

[attachment msg=10406][/attachment]

Pachyrhinosaurus

One thing papo should do is get the dentition neater. Wild animals aren't perfect, but yet they're not vastatosauruses either.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

That shouldn't be a problem, given that the only Dinosaur with that is the Running Rex.
Oh no

Yutyrannus

I hope Papo makes the caudofemoralis muscles apparent.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

anchry6

Here are some pictures of the most famous Carnotaurus:
Dinosaurs, 2000 (film)

TerraNova, 2011 (TV series)

If your company use these models to make the toys in my opinion is not a problem. In fact, both are beautiful Carnotaurus. However, they have serious (but few) scientific inaccuracies. I will write them in order of importance:
1. The "hands" of Carnotaurus are very particulars and specifics (look even numbers in the figure above):
- DO NOT have claws;
- DO NOT have the elbow;
- DO NOT have the wrist;
therefore very limited mobility.
- DO NOT are prone;
therefore are not like rabbits, but like when you clap their hands.
- NOT long
indeed are shorter than those of the famous T-rex.
This aspect is very important to many of us (I think) to decide whether or not to buy the toy.
Here are some pictures of the correct "hands":

[attachment msg=10765][/attachment]

anchry6

2. The Carnotaurus is NOT a giant.
You should do a dinosaur very similar to the size of your beautiful Allosaurus. Here is a picture of this aspect:

3. Improving the proportions of various body parts. Here are two pictures of the correct proportion of Carnotaurus.

Only if the toy will consider at least the first two considerations which I have made will be of interest to almost all the people of the forum (I think) and many would buy. I am sure that if you do your sales will increase significantly.

[attachment msg=10766][/attachment]

tyrantqueen

I think a good carnotaurus to look at for inspiration would be the Sideshow carnotaurus :)

Also please include spiny parts along the back.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.