News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Thundering Herd: The Ceratopsian collection

Started by Bokisaurus, May 18, 2012, 07:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Next to the sauropods, ceratopsians are my next favorite group of dinosaurs. When I expanded my collection, it was natural that I chose ceratopsians as my next focus.
Like the sauropods, there were species that dominated the market, such as the industry staple triceratops.
As you can imagine, this species made up the bulk of figures available. Styracosaurus came next in term of popularity. Almost all the major toy figure producers have these two species in their collection.
In recent years, more and more obscure species were added to the list. Despite this, the list of species is still short when compared to other groups.
So here they are, my ceratopsian collection!
[

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p323/Bokichops/?action=view&current=S7308248.jpg

[

[
[
[

[

>:D

DC

The predator figure has no name on it be it think it supposed to be Placerias.
No body does much with Centrosaurus.  The Mexican series by Salas, like the Starlux, was more like Monoclonius I thought. Nobody want to do it either.

[attachment msg=9580][/attachment]
You can never have too many dinosaurs

DC

DSCN2169.jpg what are the orange and green figures?  I do not think I have ever seen them.  Marolin made a Monoclonius.

[attachment msg=9581][/attachment]
You can never have too many dinosaurs

ZoPteryx

You know that saying: "like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs", well I've got a new one: "like a balloon in a heard of ceratopsians"!....oh that was terrible. :-[ ;)

Great colletion Boki, as always! :D

Bokisaurus

Quote from: DC on May 18, 2012, 09:47:40 PM
DSCN2169.jpg what are the orange and green figures?  I do not think I have ever seen them.  Marolin made a Monoclonius.
That looks like a Marolino figure.

CityRaptor

So many Ceratopsians!
There is also the Aurora/Monogramm/Revell ones. While not realistic, they have a certain charme to them. You know, like one of those old Dinosaur Movies. ( the Triceratops indeed looks a lot like the one in "One Million B.C. )
Most current Version of the line is called "Dawn of Time", with them being called Trike the Triceratops horridicus and Spike the Styracosaurs nosehornsis.

Quote from: DC on May 18, 2012, 09:42:30 PM
The predator figure has no name on it be it think it supposed to be Placerias.
It is indeed Placerias.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

sauroid

Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 18, 2012, 07:37:15 PM

hi Boki. who made this trike figure? i also have it but i have no idea what it is. also, does it come with a base?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

hi Boki. who made this trike figure? i also have it but i have no idea what it is. also, does it come with a base?

This is made by Kabaya http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2010/03/27/triceratops-kabaya/

Bokisaurus

Quote from: sauroid on July 08, 2012, 01:10:53 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 18, 2012, 07:37:15 PM

It's by Kabaya, part of a set. It comes with a detachable base like most of the figures in the set.

sauroid

amargasaurus cazaui

I wanted to ask , WITHOUT hijacking the thread, if you could point me in the direction of the find that has led them to place the quills on the trikes nowdays? I am aware of the Psittacosaurus fossil, but seemingly there are trikes now with the quills , like that new 1/15 replica. Thanks, and awesome collection Boki, always a pleasure
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

What, no Tyco Protoceratops!!?! ;) :-\ The Tyco Protoceratops was a real gem!!

btw, you have a solid ceratopsian collection---they are my favorite group of dinosaurs :)

Bokisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 22, 2012, 03:32:26 AM
What, no Tyco Protoceratops!!?! ;) :-\ The Tyco Protoceratops was a real gem!!

btw, you have a solid ceratopsian collection---they are my favorite group of dinosaurs :)

;D

CityRaptor

Uhh, that is no Protoceratops. It is a Placerias.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 09, 2012, 07:26:39 AM
I wanted to ask , WITHOUT hijacking the thread, if you could point me in the direction of the find that has led them to place the quills on the trikes nowdays? I am aware of the Psittacosaurus fossil, but seemingly there are trikes now with the quills , like that new 1/15 replica. Thanks, and awesome collection Boki, always a pleasure

Supposedly the triceratops mummy that was found fairly recently shows evidence of possibly having quills lol.  Yes and it is as vague as it sounds the way i wrote it.  So in conclusion...we don't really know for sure but if psittacosaurus had them maybe larger ceratopsids had them???  I personally keep them off until further factual information says otherwise. 

And yeah thats not protoceratops let alone a ceratopsid.  This is tyco protoceratops.  Reviewed by me way back when  :P

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2010/09/07/protoceratops-tyco/

amargasaurus cazaui

I am going to comment on that over in my Psittacosaurus thread, so as not to hijack this thread any further. Could use some information Gryph, thanks
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 07, 2012, 09:14:23 PM
I am going to comment on that over in my Psittacosaurus thread, so as not to hijack this thread any further. Could use some information Gryph, thanks

I don't think the paper is out yet.  If it was I would have sent it to you. 

Bokisaurus

>:D Oops, looks like I attached the wrong photo ;D

Bokisaurus

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.