News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinowaurs Survival - New UK Blind Bag Dinos!

Started by Blackdanter, April 16, 2012, 06:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdanter

This is a low fly by ............................  :o

Hello again, thought you'd seen the last of me didn't you? I think I can manage a fleeting visit ;)

Just thought I'd let you know (cos I'm nice like that!) that we have a new UK produced blind bag dinosaur toy/game called Dinowaurs Survival. These have hit the racks with a resounding fizzle so I doubt they'll be around for another series. There's been a very low key ad campaign for these and they're not selling at all well so don't expect to see them outside of the UK! They are available for under £2 in Tesco stores or on Ebay for up to £3.50 per blind bag!! Being a big kid, I thought I'd take a look at these and was surprised that some of the figures are actually quite nice, certainly better than the European Return of the Dinosaurs figures which were quite cartoony. These are somewhere between those and I guess the Dinosaur King mini figures.

Anyway, without further flim flam, here are the figures (that I have so far):

The collection list which comes with each figure.

Each figure is between 2"/3" in size, they're made of a rubbery material, they are sparsely painted and can be horribly warped (easily fixed with hot/cold water treatment). The figure/sculpt quality varies wildly but so far, I'm impressed with the Plateosaurus, Utahraptor and rearing Euoplocephalus ;) Here are the ones I currently have:

Protoceratops, Parasaurolophus, Stegosaurus.

Camarasaurus, Talarurus, Kentrosaurus.

Brachiosaurus, Plateosaurus, Keratocephalus.

Elasmosaurus, Triceratops, Dorygnathus.

Suchomimus, Ceratosaurus, Gigantoraptor.

Aucasaurus, Monolophosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Utahraptor.

Euoplocephalus, Psittacosaurus, Allosaurus.

Horridus

Oh my, some of those are a little...unusual. Love the Elasmosaurus, Dorygnathus and Keratocephalus...Crystal Palace models that never were! (I had to look up the latter, had never heard of it.) Also the description of a biped as a "two-limbed land animal," haha. But you're right, some of them aren't bad for cheapy figures - the Triceratops and Suchomimus look pretty good.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

lcamiro

Himmapaan

Thank you for mentioning these, John! I hope you'll do more than pay a fleeting visit though.  :)

I haven't seen these in my local Tesco, alas. As you say, one or two of these aren't bad!

SBell

anchry6

The best thing is that they have made ​​some unusual dinosaurs (seeing the first two pictures).

:D

Himmapaan

Quote from: SBell on April 16, 2012, 07:09:17 PM
So who can find me a Keratocephalus?
If I find any at all, I'll try to put one aside for you.

SBell

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 16, 2012, 08:21:30 PM

I very much appreciate that!

As for appearance, they look sort of like Dino Magic figures, except you don't put them together nd they are mostly monochromatic.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 16, 2012, 08:21:30 PM

Niroot, the only place I have seen these on display so far is Tesco Extra and they're buried in amongst the really popular blind bag stuff like Ben10 and Marvel Superheroes on the toy aisles. As I say, the kids are ignoring them for the more popular stuff so I don't think they'll be around for long. On the plus side, Tesco will sell them for next to nothing if they don't start moving soon as they don't stick with slow selling toys for long. The Primeval and Dinosaur King stuff was being cleared at a quarter of the retail price after 3 months of slow sales!

If anyone else in the UK is trying to collect these I have a good few doubles for swaps  ;)

ZoPteryx

Blackdanter

You're in luck Sean, I have a double. I haven't had a chance to work out where everything is here yet but send me your address and I'll post it out to you as soon as I'm able (I can't get about too well at the minute as I got a serious leg injury on duty recently and I'm waiting for an op so it might take a while).  ;)

SBell

Quote from: Blackdanter on April 16, 2012, 08:41:29 PM

You're in luck Sean, I have a double. I haven't had a chance to work out where everything is here yet but send me your address and I'll post it out to you as soon as I'm able (I can't get about too well at the minute as I got a serious leg injury on duty recently and I'm waiting for an op so it might take a while).  ;)

It has been sent (I hope the PM gets to you). I really appreciate that--I am guessing that if these get to Canada it's going to take a long while! And that's a big IF.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Horridus on April 16, 2012, 06:34:00 PM
Oh my, some of those are a little...unusual. Love the Elasmosaurus, Dorygnathus and Keratocephalus...Crystal Palace models that never were! (I had to look up the latter, had never heard of it.) Also the description of a biped as a "two-limbed land animal," haha. But you're right, some of them aren't bad for cheapy figures - the Triceratops and Suchomimus look pretty good.

Funny you should say that Marc, they remind me a lot of the Crystal Palace figures too  :D

Horridus

Quote from: Blackdanter on April 16, 2012, 10:26:58 PM
Funny you should say that Marc, they remind me a lot of the Crystal Palace figures too  :D
In particular, the head of the Keratocephalus looks like it has an externally visible sclerotic ring a la the CP Ichthyosaurus. (Apparently it was intended as a sort of 'anatomy lesson' at CP - some bones in one of the front flippers are also visible.)
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Roselaar

These are not too bad, for the most part. There's some lovely obscure species in there. I might go for them if I can find them.

Seijun

Hah! Those are awesome, and I definitely need a set. I love small ugly dinosaurs!
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Sumo

Oooh, I like those! If anyone's doing pickups... *bambi eyes*
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

DinoFan45

These look kinda cute, and its good to see that the variety is very mixed, with some pretty obscure animals in there.
"Life will find a way."

DinoToyForum

Well, thanks to Blackdanter's tip, I took a trip down the Tesco toy isle today. The Dinowaurs figures are enclosed in opaque packs, so it should be a lucky dip. However, at £2 each I wasn't taking any risks, and was able to identify the coveted marine reptiles using dextrous fingers and a few minutes systematic (and highly suspicious-looking) fondling :))

The figures come with 'battle game' cards. The transparent cards overlap to give a top-trumps style rating. In this particular case, the Elasmosaurus and Mosasaurus are a completely even match, and so a truce was called, and the pair settled down to enjoy a Saturday night takeaway together instead.

Here's some close-ups of the two:

Elasmosaurus:

Mosasaurus:

Himmapaan

Haha, excellent.

I still haven't had a chance to investigate whether my Tesco has any...

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.