News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum App- anyone interested?

Started by Tyrannax, February 08, 2013, 07:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrannax

I don't mean to come back after such a long absence and start pushing for change, but I do have a recommendation for the forum.

The truth is, I don't really have time to be an active forum member. It's not that I don't spend many hours sitting at the computer- college has no trouble of providing me with that- I just don't have the time to, well, do what I want online. Regardless, I'm never far from my phone. Whether it be for texts, emails, or Jurassic Park Builder, I'm constantly using it. Now I'm not sure what it entails, but I was curious as to whether an app could be created to allow for easy access to the forum. Having an app would allow me and I'm sure quite a few others to be far more active. Again, I'm not sure what is involved in creating apps, but the prospect of it sounded to good to keep bottled up.

Anyway, hopefully it's not too out of reach!

Member since 2008

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Tyrannax on February 08, 2013, 07:45:02 AM
I don't mean to come back after such a long absence and start pushing for change, but I do have a recommendation for the forum.

The truth is, I don't really have time to be an active forum member. It's not that I don't spend many hours sitting at the computer- college has no trouble of providing me with that- I just don't have the time to, well, do what I want online. Regardless, I'm never far from my phone. Whether it be for texts, emails, or Jurassic Park Builder, I'm constantly using it. Now I'm not sure what it entails, but I was curious as to whether an app could be created to allow for easy access to the forum. Having an app would allow me and I'm sure quite a few others to be far more active. Again, I'm not sure what is involved in creating apps, but the prospect of it sounded to good to keep bottled up.

Anyway, hopefully it's not too out of reach!

It's a good idea and something I've been thinking about anyway. I think it has been raised before too. I don't know about apps, per se, but I'm quite sure there are already modifications that exist that I could install into the forum, so that it automatically recognises what device a visitor is using, and changes appearance accordingly. I'll look into it...

It would be helpful to know how much of a demand there is for this, so if anyone else would find this useful, do say so :) 

Takama

It would take some getting used to, but im for a DTF App

Tyrannax

Sounds good. I modified the thread's title in order to make it more specific. Hopefully others are interested in having an easier mobile version.

Member since 2008

DinoToyForum

I've done some investigating and there are a few options available.

1. Install a theme for mobiles. In this case, the forum recognises what devise each user is browsing with and will change appearance accordingly. Only problem, the mobile themes aren't free for me to download/install.

2. I could install http://tapatalk.com/ plugin to the forum. This will make the DTF available through the tapatalk app, which individual users can download. The plugin is free to install, but the app itself isn't free.

Here's a review of the Tapatalk app. It would be quite nice to have DTF listed alongside all the other forums :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ELOO08uC0U

3. I can direct mobile device users to the WAP2 version of the site. http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?wap2 This is free, but almost too simple, and doesn't show images, as far as I can see. Not ideal.

So, this all depends on whether there is much demand for one, or any, of the options? (Any who is willing to brunt the cost...)

Does anyone use the tapatalk app for other forums? How is it?

Tyrannax

Well the first option does sound the simplest, but I'm wondering if the 3rd really isn't too good to be true. Is there any more information on it?

Member since 2008

DinoToyForum

Here's a demo of the mobile theme I'm thinking of purchasing:
http://smf-media.com/community/

Tyrannax

I accessed the link from my phone and it worked great.

Member since 2008